Sunday, October 26, 2008

Apple Pie: Because Kristen has been asking since last Thanksgiving...

From Better Homes and Garden "New" Cook Book. (To be honest, this is not quick and I find making crust hard, (but worth it)....but boy is it good. When I make this for parties, it is GONE!)

1 recipe for pastry for double-crust pie
6 C thinly sliced, peeled cooking apples (about 2 1/4 lbs)
3/4 C sugar (I often cut the sugar a little bit)
2 Tb all-purpose flour
1/2 t ground cinnamon (I always double and then some the cinnamon!!!)
1/8 t ground nutmeg

1. prepare and roll out crust...line a 9-in pie plate w/half of the pastry

2. In a large bowl stir together the 3/4 C sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add apple slices and gently toss until coated.

3. Transfer apple mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Trim bottom pastry to edge of pie plate. Cut slits in remaining pastr; place on filling and seal. Crimp edge as desired.

4. To prevent browning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40 min. Remove foil. Bake 20 min more or until fruit is tender and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.



This is my husband's favorite dessert when completed with vanilla ice cream and a cup of coffee. :) I'm asking for an apple corer/peeler contraption for Christmas...

1 comment:

Kristen said...

After nagging you for so long for this recipe, I never made it.... until last night. It was as great as I remember it being! :)